Last night I was talking way late into the night because my best friend, from since I was 7, is visiting us. We came upon a story from when I was 17 that she hadn't heard before. Quite amazing. So here it goes.
I was friends with this great guy named Jansen. (Now remember this story is completely from my perspective.) He lived about 35 minutes away from me and one day in the summer I was able to catch a ride to his house so we could hang out. My dad worked really close to where he lived so the plan was that my dad would pick me up after he got off work to take me home. Well, Jansen is a very unique character. We had nicknames for each other. He would call me Samantha and I would call him Rufus. He also collected grocery lists, he worked at a grocery store. We were great friends. He is actually my first guy that was only a friend. With all his eccentricities aside, he came from a pretty straight laced family. Very orderly. Mine on the other hand was anything but. I think I have built the contrast enough.
We had a great day, just hanging out. Then it came time to have my dad come get me and Jansen told me that he would bring me home, so I just asked if I could stay a little longer. My dad said yes but I needed to be home by 8. For some reason this time I actually wanted to be home by the set curfew. We go to eat dinner with Jansen's family. It was him, me, mom and dad and his little sister. It was all very organized and nicely presented. His mom had made a seafood pasta dish. At this time in my life I didn't eat anything seafood. The other option on the table was a bowl of plums. I took some of the pasta but sorted through the seafood. This was all with a sideways glare from his mom. I don't think she really liked me, I was a little wild for her taste. So, I eat a plum and try to enjoy the very directed conversation about how my family wasn't quite as religious as theirs. After I finish my plum, I look at my plate and notice a half eaten plum resting there. I look at Jansen, he had mischief in his eyes. After the meal had ended I stand to clear my plate and his mom says "Someone hasn't finished all the food on their plate." I see she is staring at me. So I explain that it is Jansen's plum. He just shrugs. And his parents don't believe me. I didn't eat the rest of Jansen's plum, I don't quite remember how I got out of that situation. Jansen and I went downstairs to hang out.
At around 7:15 Jansen and I get ready to leave. When we walk upstairs the entire family is sitting in the living room. Jansen goes and sits on the couch. I, totally confused because I thought he was taking me home, sit down too. I hadn't realized it was Monday night and his family was really good about family night, stark contrast to mine. His dad "Erin, can you play the piano for the opening song?" I don't play the piano, I didn't then, and I don't now. So my reply was "I don't play the piano." Another obvious difference in our families because everyone in Jansen's family is musical. Jansen had a band named Blue Stone Bantha, they had this catchy song about how the metric system is better. Well, after this astonishing revelation that someone might not know how to play the piano, his parents look to Jansen for confirmation. I guess they thought I never tell the truth, I mean after that plum incident! Jansen turns to me and says "C'mon Erin, just play the piano." I shot death rays from my eyes at him. I profess again that I cannot play the piano, with his parents glaring at me because Jansen told me to play so I guess I must be lying again. (Becky was able to point out the real humor in this for me last night, after 10 years, I should have just gone and plunked something out, that no one could sing to, but I was way to self concious at the time.) Jansen stood up and said "Fine, I'll play the piano." We have a song and prayer, then we were interrupted by a phone call for Jansen's dad, that he took in the other room and everyone sat where they were and waited for him to finish and come back. This would have been when everyone in my family scattered, it was an out, but Jansen's sat quietly waiting. When his dad returned Jansen stood up and said "I'm gonna take Erin home" and turns to leave. His dad clears his throat, "Jansen, don't you remember the family rule?" I am scared to death. "If someone needs to go somewhere on family night then the whole family goes." My worst nightmare! 10 minutes later we are all filing into the mini van. His parents had never been to my house and we missed the exit. Backtracking, we run across a gas station with "really cheap gas", so of course we had to stop. I was getting a little irritated, and it was past my 8 o'clock curfew. If you ever visit the Midwest make sure you stop at a Kwik Trip gas station. They are great. Jansen's mom ran inside to get a family night treat. She comes out with bananas, another food I did not eat. So, everyone took a banana and jovially started munching (the whole time I was thinking "are these people real?"). Three bananas ended back up in the front with mom. She turns around and says "Who didn't take their banana?" Are you kidding me? I confess to not taking "my" banana. Followed by a glare. I mean what kind of a person doesn't eat seafood, play the piano or eat bananas? I was so relieved when we pulled into our cul-de-sac. I jumped out of the car with not so much as a "Bye" and ran inside up to my room. Of course my parents happened to be doing lawn work and so they talked with Jansen's for a while. I watched from my bedroom window. And was scolded from my parents when they came inside for being so rude by running inside. If they only knew.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"What other people think of you is none of your business."
"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."
"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."

5 comments:
That was so funny. I had never thought about how our family was not as religious as others when I was that age.
So what I'm wondering is how those kids turned out anyway? Who are those people? Freaky!
Oh, and by the way, next time you come to my house, I'm monitoring your food habits...very...carefully! Someone is going to clean their plate, young lady!
HA HA! You are funny Erin, I love it. Thanks for the story! Aren't you glad for all the awkward things that happen when we were younger? ME NEITHER!
Oh my gosh! That is crazy! You would think that a family with that many rules would have strict rules about being polite to guests! And I would have had the same problem over there. I still won't touch seafood with a ten foot pole, I don't care whose house it is!
Post a Comment