Thursday, March 13, 2008

Iowa

Bill never thought about living in Wisconsin (I actually think he didn't even know where it was, with that great California edumication, ha ha!) I'm sure he really never thought of living in Iowa. I thought I would give you a couple little facts about Iowa. Since we will be Iowans soon.
  • Total population for the state is roughly 3 million (I am glad because I have been feeling pretty crowded!)
  • The state tree is the oak (Bill's favorite, seriously)
  • It's the state I was born in. (We will actually be living about 45 minutes away from where I was born and lived the first 6 years of my life.)
  • The state is named for the Ioway people, a Siouan tribe of Native Americans that formerly lived there.
  • Iowa continually ranks in the top 3 for ACT and SAT scores. (the GREAT education system!)
  • Interesting Famous Iowans: Buffalo Bill, Herbert Hoover, Nile Kinnick, Ashton Kutcher, Donna Reed, John Wayne, Elijah Wood and the band Slipknot.
  • It is the "Hawkeye State"
Now some facts about the city we will be living in. I'll give you little facts and see if you can figure it out - those of you that know already don't spoil it!
  • It has a population, per the 2000 census, of 6,112. (It has the largest population in the county, it's the county seat!)
  • U.S. Route 61 adjoins the city, and the city benefits from traffic between Dubuque and the Quad Cities.
  • I read somewhere that this is the only place in the WORLD with this name. (I'm not sure how true that is, but I would believe it.)
  • The name derives from Indian words meaning Bear River.
  • They have tractor pulls and dirt track racing.
  • The only Drive-In movie in the county is in this fair city. (Maybe the only movie theater.)

5 comments:

emily kate said...

I figured it out through google so I won't spoil it. :)

I have family in Des Moines and I lived there for a summer during college and I really love it! It's a beautiful state!

Adam & Jetta said...

I'm too lazy to figure it out, You'll tell me eventually anyway!! I'm so jealous you're going to live close to tractor pulls and a drive in theatre. But, I'm angry you're leaving before the trip I planned to Navoou (in like 10 years) What is the time frame for moving?

Heather said...

You didn't mention the great prices on houses they have there.

Laurel said...

Wowie wow wow! This is huge! See what happens when I am away from the internet for a week? I actually LOVE Iowa (except for the humidity in the summer.) But I think it is so pretty and quaint. When is the big move?

mama bird said...

This is all very exciting!

"What other people think of you is none of your business."

"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."