Since we are still in Milwaukee for a little while longer I am trying to take advantage of the BIG city things we won't have after the move. (shopping!) Last week we made our initiatory outing to the splash pool. I remember last summer I would try and get the kids out the door and then once the snow hit I was thinking "We really didn't enjoy the summer enough." My friend Martha is great about carpe diem. Last night we were at their house for dinner and at about 9:30 we were getting ready to leave and she herds all the kids outside to catch fireflies. Those are the things you remember as a kid. Anyways. Enough rambling. Yesterday we went to the zoo. It was a split between the girls for the park or the zoo. Good thing our zoo has a park. They played for a little while (and I was just watching in amazement that Campbell is no longer a little baby, she plays on the big playground!) and then we went to see the animals. We were lucky because we were right behind a summer program group that was being lead by a zoo worker. We learned some of the animals names and we also learned that the cheetahs are brothers. The cheetahs were being pretty frisky, one climbed a tree, at least 20 feet in the air. And they liked pacing in front of the glass, making eye contact with all of the kids. Maybe they could sense the fear and excitement! Then they laid down and hugged each other. The girls really liked this because they have their own hug-hug thing that they do. James and Campbell will walk up to each other and say "hug, hug" and then wrap their arms around each other. James will then lift Campbell off the ground and they start laughing. Sometimes Campbell will try to lift James up. It all usually ends in them hugging and laughing until they fall down. There haven't been any tears involved yet, *fingers crossed* there won't be. So we had a fun day at the zoo. I was expecting the girls to be good the rest of the day since we went out. But I had to throw them in the bath again (my unenthusiastic approach to swimming) to get them to stop fighting. Works every time!
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
The Zoo
Since we are still in Milwaukee for a little while longer I am trying to take advantage of the BIG city things we won't have after the move. (shopping!) Last week we made our initiatory outing to the splash pool. I remember last summer I would try and get the kids out the door and then once the snow hit I was thinking "We really didn't enjoy the summer enough." My friend Martha is great about carpe diem. Last night we were at their house for dinner and at about 9:30 we were getting ready to leave and she herds all the kids outside to catch fireflies. Those are the things you remember as a kid. Anyways. Enough rambling. Yesterday we went to the zoo. It was a split between the girls for the park or the zoo. Good thing our zoo has a park. They played for a little while (and I was just watching in amazement that Campbell is no longer a little baby, she plays on the big playground!) and then we went to see the animals. We were lucky because we were right behind a summer program group that was being lead by a zoo worker. We learned some of the animals names and we also learned that the cheetahs are brothers. The cheetahs were being pretty frisky, one climbed a tree, at least 20 feet in the air. And they liked pacing in front of the glass, making eye contact with all of the kids. Maybe they could sense the fear and excitement! Then they laid down and hugged each other. The girls really liked this because they have their own hug-hug thing that they do. James and Campbell will walk up to each other and say "hug, hug" and then wrap their arms around each other. James will then lift Campbell off the ground and they start laughing. Sometimes Campbell will try to lift James up. It all usually ends in them hugging and laughing until they fall down. There haven't been any tears involved yet, *fingers crossed* there won't be. So we had a fun day at the zoo. I was expecting the girls to be good the rest of the day since we went out. But I had to throw them in the bath again (my unenthusiastic approach to swimming) to get them to stop fighting. Works every time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"What other people think of you is none of your business."
"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."
"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."

2 comments:
How fun! We're feeling the same drive to do all the things in Utah that we want to do before we're not here to do them anymore. Not that NYC doesn't have plenty of things to do but there's so much thats unique to Utah.
And no, I'm not pregnant. :) Sorry to confuse! My friend Emily met up with us in Cali. It doesn't confuse me having a friend with my same name (especially because when we're together our friends call us Natter and Hill) but I forget sometimes it confuses everyone else!
What a great day. I was just thinking the other day how I need to do a better job of living in the moment. Carpe Diam!
We just saw Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium at the kiddie movies the other day, and my favorite quote was: "Your life is an occasion. Rise to it." Isn't that fabulous?
Post a Comment