Thursday, July 24, 2008

Frogs and candy.

Yesterday we were going to go to the caves but as we were driving there the girls were freaking out that there might be bats so I turned in at the Hurstville Interpretive Center instead. We had Jennifer with us, the wife of one of Bill's co-workers. She is cool and her kids are at their dad's for the summer so I think she is missing kids because she always gives mine so much attention and little gifts. It was a cool place, I would call it a Nature Center. They have a beehive behind plexi glass with a little tube that connects it to the outside so you can watch the bees fly in and out and do all their work. The girls want to see that again. We took one of the trails out to the pond. It would've been a fun hike if my girls weren't so girly. Seriously, there was a frog or toad every step you took. I was imagining back when I was a kid and we would have caught them all. There would've been at least 100 or more. On the way back Jennifer carried Campbell and I carried James because of the frogs and toads. They were crying. We just need to get them used to nature I think they have been in the city too long!

Last night we had Jennifer and Marty over for dinner and then we made our way to the parade. The county fair is this week and it was kicked off with the parade, "the largest parade in the area". James is talking of cotton candy and ferris wheel rides. When I was driving by the parade route this morning I noticed chairs and blankets out (Bill said he saw them on his way to work at 6:30 am!) so I stopped the car and threw out a blanket (thanks Dot the quilt always comes in handy!). We headed to the parade at 5:50 it started at 6:00 and there were so many people. I haven't seen this many people here before. The parade lasted one and a half hours. It was really good with lots of funny cars/mobiles. And at the end there were tons of horses. The girls loved it. Campbell got this bash on her head from diving for candy off the curb, and while she was crying it wasn't because she was hurt but because she had dropped her ring pop. This is the haul we got from the parade. You can guess my favorite thing (and the thing I yelled the loudest to get) is the globe ball. So cool! James got the little frog. This actually wasn't all the candy thrown at us. The novelty of it wore off on the girls and they aren't that into candy I guess. Kids would come and clean up all the candy the girls left periodically during the parade.
We sure had fun at our first hometown parade and there are already plans in the works to be part of it next year!

6 comments:

desert mom said...

When I was a kid we didn't get candy thrown to us. But it was exciting just to be there. There's nothing like a home town parade and to be in the parade is so much fun. Sorry you missed out on the cave, maybe next time.

Laurel said...

I love hometown parades! And I'm glad that girl has her priorities straight: It's ALL about the ring pop! So, hey, what are you guys doing with your old house? Are you renting it or what? And your rental place looks gorgeous! I love all the wordwork.

Heather said...

How are you blogging? I just assumed it would take you a while to get settled and unpacked and everything. It looks like you are having a lot of fun.

tinybubbles said...

Wow! That sounds like an amazing parade! I'll have to make plans to bring Mia to it one of these times! Brian wants to come see the caves. Hey, when is that knitting thing in Des Moines again?

Laura said...

so, when can we come visit? Seriously.

Kennedy asks DAILY when she can go to the zoo with Campbell & James. Miss you guys!

Quists said...

Hi girlie! Cute pictures, as always! Hey- I have a question for you. Cody and I are going to Chicago for 2 days in a couple of weeks. We found out "Wicked" is going to be playing while we're there, and I have wanted to see it. I read on your blog that you got to go to it. Tickets range from balcony ($29.50) to Orchestra level ($135). Do you have any suggestions as to where to sit/what it's like from different views? There were some mid-range prices such as side-orchestra level for $89... but we just didn't know. Where did you sit? Advice? Thanks! (By the way, is Wicked good/worth it to begin with?! HA HA!)

"What other people think of you is none of your business."

"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."