Monday, July 21, 2008

Don't Call Me a Pessimist.

I usually plan for and expect the worst. I always have food and a change of clothes for the girls with me. We are always going to be caught in a snowstorm on the side of the road, our house is going to burn down, and get broken into. The girls will break a bone playing on the sidewalk. I try to keep these things under control and they generally don't happen. But I have prepared myself for it. I guess you could say I am a little guarded.

When we were told that we would be relocating for Bill's job my normal pessimism hid away. I thought only wonderful thoughts. We would just have to put our house on the market and it would sell. Probably in the first two months. Then we would be able to pick our perfect house in Iowa because it will be sooo much cheaper down there. We would buy it with no hitches and our mortgage would be so small that we could buy new furniture for our new wonderful house. And life would be so comfortable.

Here we are with our house on the market for three months and no bites. The date to relocate just snuck up on us and the selling/buying a house didn't happen. But let me tell you, things are going great. Such a reaffermation of faith that someone else is really in control here.

Bill was in Iowa last week and found us a rental house that is half the price of our mortgage. Not only is it half the price but it is twice as big. And gorgeous. The same style I love, American Foursquare and updated. It even has a garbage disposal. That is living rich, let me tell you! The girls are settling nicely and we will be going to the library (2 blocks away) to get cards today. Almost everything is in walking distance. Well, what do you expect in a town of 5,000? We are looking forward to our new life in Iowa.

Here are a couple pictures of the new place:

15 comments:

Emily Kate said...

Wow! It's so cute! And big!! Your house could eat our NY apartment for lunch! :)

Heather Dawson said...

It's beautiful!!! How fun to be in a new place and get to make it your own!

Becky said...

Wow, it's beautiful!! Your girls are probably running from one end to the other just to prove that they can really pick up speed with a house so large! :)

And here I am paying 50% more per month in rent than I did for my mortgage...and our bedroom is a third the size...and we have no yard to speak of...

You sure know how to do things right!!

The Roderick Family said...

What a fun adventure! Check to see if the library has storytime. It's my lifesaver!

Kim Cannon said...

Wow, the house is beautiful. And it is wonderful that it is in walking distant to so many things. We sure miss you here, but it sounds like things are going well.

Laura said...

What a beautiful house! Of course I hope you can sell your home here in WI, but at least until you do I know you'll be back to do fun things with me now and then! :) Miss you.

Catherine Call said...

It's BEAUTIFUL!! I LOVE all the white trim. The cabinets and appliances are updated, too. What a STEAL!!! Congrats and good luck in the new town!

Heidi said...

I'm glad your new place is such a steal. And it looks really comfortable. Perfect for 2 little girls.
Good luck selling your old place!!!

tinybubbles said...

Ooohhhhh! I like!

Heather said...

It looks so nice!

desert mom said...

I love it when you post pictures. I especially like the stairway. The floors are beautiful. It's a beautiful home. Just happy to know that you're all together. We're praying for your house in WI to sell. We love you guys.

Mandy said...

Your new place is so cute!

Reed said...

WICKE!!! The house looks nice, I like the floor...be grateful you didn't have to install it (I did our bedroom, and it kicked my butt).

Bill looks very tired in a couple of pics.

Kendra said...

Erin, Your house is adorable! Glad to hear you are happy. We miss you in WI!

Da Ilaoa's said...

This house is huge! Hope you are enjoying it!

"What other people think of you is none of your business."

"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."