Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Helping Grandpa . . . and boy does he need it!

First of all: Happy New Year! Since I don't "work" anymore it will probably take me longer to get the right year when I write a check. (that's the only place I have to know what day it is)

The other day we were out at my parents house. They have two dogs, two indoor cats, three barn cats, 19 or so chickens, 5 million sheep and a goat. The girls love it. Campbell especially has always been willing to help do the chores down at the barn. She is a farm girl at heart. She is the Jr. Dr. Dolittle (Bill is the original).

My parents were going on a trip for a couple days and they decided to put in a kitty door to go down to the basement, where the kitty litter is. It's smaller then a doggy door (which they already have, going outside), small enough that the dogs can't fit through it but the cats can. My father, the mechanical engineer, took on the job of installing the kitty door. Campbell could not resist being his assistant. My dad has always been great with kids and has the patience to let them hang around while he is working. It was so cute because my dad started by getting down on the ground and there was Campbell laid out on her belly right next to him. Then he decided to start cutting the hole with a kitchen knife (normal choice) and Campbell ran and got a plastic spoon. She was going to town on the door with that spoon, until she realized it wasn't working. She ran in the kitchen and started yelling for a knife. My dad soon found out that they would need REAL tools to cut through the door and went to put on his shoes to go down to the barn and get them. Campbell was in a panic because she knew she needed to be quick to go with him. I have never seen her move so fast getting her shoes and coat. And yelling "Geempa" so he wouldn't leave without her. They got back with the appropriate tools and cut the hole in the door. Then came the part where my dad had to attach the other side of the door. He was on the stairs side of the door and Campbell was still on the main floor side. She was laid out on her belly looking through the kitty door to see what Geempa was doing. Then she started poking her little hand through the door, over and over. I hear my dad yelling "don't, don't, don't" I was surprised that so few words could get her to stop. But, she really does love her Geempa! They were successful with installing the kitty door (it only took about an hour) and I am sure the cats are grateful.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Geempa sounds like a good man. My patience wears the most thin when I am trying to do a job with the kids around, atleast if I need to do it quickly. Of course, I am learning that nothing can happen quickly around here. Ever.

"What other people think of you is none of your business."

"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."