Wednesday, December 19, 2007

What day is it?

Wow, I feel like a scrooge this year because I have let the ball drop on so many traditions. Christmas cards will probably show up in the form of a email and I didn't even think about making a Christmas ornament for the sister exchange. I do have to report that the ward Christmas party went wonderfully! I haven't had one bad word said about it. I really wanted to have the party be in the true spirit of Christmas. I was told that it isn't a Christmas party without Santa. But I really don't think he was there when Christ was born. I found a program for "A Night in Bethlehem" online. We had coins for families to buy their dinner with. We signed the Census and had a Centurion (with a real British accent!). And we all sat on blankets on the floor to eat our dinner. We served lentil soup (a great recipe that I got from Rebekah), oranges, raisins, figs, cheese, olives, naan bread, white grape juice, baklava, and peasant pies. After most people had finished dinner (and the kids were starting to get crazy) we started the program. The narrator told the story of Mary and Joseph. We had actors for Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus, the shepherds, and the wise men (they were the young men and they did knock over a camel!) I was lucky because someone had a life size manger scene (with sheep, camels, and donkeys) that we borrowed. I was told that when the curtains opened all the children stopped and stared. They loved the animals (it was traumatic when the wise men knocked over the camels). From beginning to end it was one and a half hours. Perfect for all the children we have in our ward (75 under 2 yrs old). I wanted pictures, really I did, I even brought my camera but then I ended up running around like crazy the whole time that I didn't get any. :( It is a relief that it is over but I don't think my Christmas traditions can be salvaged for this year. Next year I will have to get those cards out before the party!

Cream Lentil Soup


2 T. butter

1 large onion, diced

2 celery stalks, diced

Sautee, until onions are translucent.

1 T. sweet curry

1 t. salt

½ t. pepper

1 lb. lentils (rinsed 3 times)

28 oz. can tomatoes

8 c. stock

Add ingredients to onion and celery simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour.

In a separate pan simmer 3 c. cream and 7 cloves of garlic for 20 minutes. Blend until smooth and add to the soup.

Serve. Yields 12 cups

The original recipe calls for 2 T. rosemary & 1/8 t. cayenne instead of the curry. I also used whole milk instead of cream and it turned out great.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Oh, my! The ward Christmas party sounds like a huge success and a huge ordeal! Who can blame you for not getting some of the stuff done? I'm only sad for you if it is something that you really wanted to do. Otherwise, let the guilt go...hmmm, I need to take my own advice! :0)

Merry Christmas to you all!

mama bird said...

Yea! I'm glad to have the soup recipe. The party really was great. Now instead of fretting about other stuff I say sit back, put yo feet up girl! Enjoy just relaxing for Christmas. People keep asking me if we have "big plans" for Christmas. My "big plan" is to RELAX and ENJOY!

"What other people think of you is none of your business."

"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."