Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My little artists

James has really been into writing books. She started about a month ago and it is amazing how her spelling and sentence structure have improved. This is the title page to a book she wrote about the Red Planet. Her good friends have a martian maker and the girls have brought home many aliens that they build houses for and play with. It's really hilarious because they are only like 1 inch big. She has also authored some of her own Skippy Jon Jones books. She says she wants to be an author and illustrator when she grows up.Yesterday my mom came down to spend the day with us. It was wonderful. She cleaned my house, which is a chore that has fallen to the wayside in my delicate condition, ha ha! Now I just need to organize all the junk in the basement before this baby comes! Well, we had a busy day. We went to the Hurstville Interpretive Center, our local nature center, then we went swimming at the Y. And James didn't even use a noodle to help her. She swam the whole pool, even in the 5 foot deep part! She is a fish. Then, for some crazy reason, we let the girls pick where to eat lunch. The magnificent McD's. I really wanted a Reuben, but settled for chicken nuggets. We went to the store and picked out some material to make a blanket for the baby and checked out Wall-e. Grandma and the girls took a rest and watched the movie all cuddled together on the couch. It was a perfect day. Ending it with salmon and chhole for dinner made it wonderful. After dinner we were all hanging out in the living room, where we will soon have a couch and not have to sit on the floor. Campbell brought me this picture and told me about it. This is a HUGE leap in her abilities. Even a week ago she couldn't draw a circle the way she wanted to. Then she pops up with this masterpiece! I asked her about 40 times if she really drew it. I mean, it looks like something! Eve even looks like Eve. And Wall-e has hands and feet. I am more then amazed. She was so proud. The light in her eyes was glowing when she was explaining the picture.

4 comments:

brit said...

cute, cute, cute!

Emily Kate said...

LOVE it. James, my birthday buddy, reminds me a lot of myself at her age! I'll have to get my mom to scan in some Kindergarten pictures for me. But I really wanted to be an author and illustrator at that age and I made books like crazy. You should look into buying some Blank Books, I think they're called. And you can scan in their artwork/pages of homemade books and get them made into a fancy Shutterfly (or other such website) book. I would have loved that when I was a kid.

Heidi said...

What a couple of smarty pants you've got!! Must be doing something right!

As far as publishing goes, my district just got on board with mightyauthors.com (It's a Brad Wilcox thing if you're familiar with him.)
You can buy the books, but you can also type and print things out.

Hamilton Family said...

Ohhhh, we are so excited for the big sisters! It won't be long now and you'll have a little piece of heaven in your home. You are on the final stretch Erin,.....you can do it, you can do it, you can do it!!! Very nice picture, James! I love your bright use of color. Campbell, you and Britt love the big round eyes! Very nice job! We're thinking of all the Iowa Wickes! XOXOXOXO

"What other people think of you is none of your business."

"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."