Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Adventures with James




At school her teacher has been reading Junie B. Jones books to the class. They just finished The Mushy Gushy Valentine. Coincidentally we had read it at home the previous month. Junie B. gets a valentine from a secret admirer. When James came home today and we were going through her book bag she pulled out this:Not a valentine, but definitely from a secret admirer, or I should say secret imir. She told me it was from Tristan M. Not my first guess, the two boys at her table totally like her. She didn't think much of it. And I am glad. There is plenty of time for that later, like way later.

At dinner the other day she was telling us how to kill a chicken. (I don't know why my kids have this obsession with meat, we eat almost half our meals vegetarian. I overheard Campbell telling an adult today that we are made out of meat. It is getting so twisted!) So, James tells us you have to cut off it's head, then you have to cut off it's tail so it won't run around. Because chickens have two brains one in their head and one in their tail. Bill chimes in "you mean they have a brain in their butt?" James, being the polite princess, replies "yes." We both start laughing, because we couldn't help it. Then I ask her where she heard this from. And here is where the real life lesson came into play. It was from an older boy that she plays with frequently. And so Bill and I told her not to believe what boys tell her. I hope she remembers that! Of course then we explained that chickens only have one brain and that their tails are only feathers.

5 comments:

Becky said...

very sweet. :)

Adam & Jetta said...

Always a good public service reminder "Don't believe what boys tell you" :)

pawlowski said...

That is too funny. I hope it wasn't one of my boys that told her that. :)

brit said...

I love your girls' rain jackets. And I think that your girls are obsessed with meat because you eat so many veggie meals but I think it is good for them. I try and do that myself.

Heidi said...

I love the green raincoat with James walking away! What a great shot!

And that's why I don't read Mushy Gushy Valentime to my kids. Junie B. Jones has a Monster Under Her Bed is a great one, if you're looking for more of those books.

"What other people think of you is none of your business."

"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."