Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Happiness

This is something I have contemplated plenty. What makes people happy? And more importantly what makes me happy? Bill is really good at living in the moment and not worrying about things that he can't do anything about. His mom was a great teacher of this. And I love any time I get to spend around her to witness this trait. Mostly because it is something I really needed to work on. Not that I have mastered it, I think it will always be a work in progress for me.

I found this interesting article about happiness. It actually gives tips on how to be happy. Reading it is fascinating. It states that everyone has a baseline happiness. It is related to genetics and attitude. Bill is an optimistic person. I like to say I am a realist. He calls me a pessimist. So, I work on thinking optimistically. But maybe my baseline happiness is just a little under where his is, making it more work for me to be just as happy as he is. I know that attitude is a HUGE factor, and I am in control of that a little more then my genetic make up. So I will keep thinking the cup is half full, not slowly leaking out the hole in the bottom!

Another point the article makes is that if you can fulfill your basic needs monetarily, it will help you to be happy. From research it says in the U.S. the magic number is $40,000 per year. There was someone once who asked me when my husband will make six digits. I laughed out loud! Although that would be nice one day that has never been one of our priorities. I love how the article puts it. "Your comfort may increase with your salary, but comfort isn't what makes people happy. It makes people bored. That's why it's important to push beyond your comfort zone to fuel your growth as a person." Back to my great example of happiness, Bill, he loves trying new things. And that is what adds the spice to life.

The last thing I will touch on from the article is that they suggest living close to family and friends. With such humongous amounts of siblings on both sides of our families it is quite impossible to live by everyone. I have day dreamed about what it would be like if we did all live close to each other. I think it would be wonderful. But, since we don't, we make our vacations be to visit family. Luckily, we live in the most boring place of them all, so for us it is great to go and visit them.

So, go check out the article. Wonderful contemplating food.

4 comments:

Laurel said...

I'm interested in all things regarding happiness, so I was really intrigued by the article. Like it said, I think there are people more prone to a "sunnier" disposition, but I think everyone has the ability to choose happiness. My favorite book regarding the subject is by Dennis Prager called "Happiness is a Serious Problem." If you're not familiar with it you should check it out. I think he is brialliant. Anywhoo...thanks for sharing. And as for the picture of "very hairy Bill" I did not recognize him!!! I thought it was a stranger until you named him. Ha!

desert mom said...

I read an article in the newspaper about a year ago on the "Happiest People". They found that those who gave of themselves by sharing their time, talents and even monetary blessings were the happiest people.

I enjoyed your post and the article...and thank you for the compliment.

About the picture of Bill, James and the goat-It is my thought that Wrestlers plant their feet on the mat in an effort to prevent the challenger from taking them down. It's my feeling that Bill was making sure that the goat was not going to take James down. Bill is a great wrestler.

It's interesting how we can recognize someone by how they walk or stand.

Anyhow it's a good picture to add to my collection.
Love to All

Quists said...

Thanks for sharing this article with me.

I hadn't read blog entries in a while... I made the mistake of reading about one of "our scariest experiences ever." NOT something I should read a week before going in for my c-section. HA! That's okay... I feel it's the best way for the baby to arrive healthy and for me to be healthy. Still scary anticipating it this time. AH!

I love all the recent photos of your lil' family. Too cute!

Heather said...

I haven't read the article yet, but nurture has got to be a factor, I think we are taught how to be happy and what to be happy with.

"What other people think of you is none of your business."

"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."