Yesterday I picked James up from school and she told me (or I heard) that a man talked to them at school about how he got shot because other people didn't like following the rules. I was stunned that they would have someone who was shot come and talk to the kids. I was thinking along the lines of a gang member. Then she told me that he gave a speech and used lots of big words. Everything started to click and bingo! Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. So, we had a discussion about him and what he did. The interesting part was her perspective. She REALLY does not see color. And the people who weren't following the rules weren't Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King but the people who were racist and "not being nice to everyone and sharing."
We had to drop something off at Bill's work and I had NPR on. She asked to stay in the car and listen. They were talking about Martin Luther King.
When we got home she told me that she was supposed to wear red, white and blue to school the next day because Barack Obama is going to be our president. We picked out an outfit. And she wore it today. They watched the Inauguration at school and when I picked her up today she was talking all about it. She explained about him being the first black president and that one day we might have a woman president. I love that racism (and sexism!) is becoming such a part of history. It is no longer seen in the eyes of children! The future looks wonderful:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"What other people think of you is none of your business."
"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."
"Big or small there is a difference only you can make."

2 comments:
Wow, I had a really similar conversation in the car with Adriana yesterday. I asked the kids if they knew what holiday it was and Adriana started rattling off all these facts about Martin Luther King Jr and Rosa Parks, and I got the same feeling of like if they hadn't been talking about it in school, she wouldn't even know that people cared about what color other people's skin was. One moment that made me giggle was when she said, "Mom do you want to hear something really sad about Martin Luther King Jr?" Me, "yeah," "He was killed. Someone just shot him in a hotel." I was really impressed with how much she actually learned in school about the important civil right struggle. She even understood the concept of boycotting the buses and walking instead so that the bus company would let anyone sit anywhere they wanted.
Wow! I can't believe how SMART these kids are! And so very innocent, too.
Post a Comment